Kids Crafts as Gifts
for Family and Friends
Try making these kids crafts as gifts for friends and family. They're great fun to do.
What better way to celebrate family and friends than to give a gift that the children have made themselves?
Useful gifts are the best - why not try some of these ideas to get started?
Notepaper and Pencil Holder
Let's start with the Notepaper and Pencil Holder.
By choosing appropriately patterned paper, this project can be made as a gift for any family member or friend and will be put to good use on a desk or by the telephone to make sure that there's never a shortage of pens or paper to write down that important message!
An especially good idea for Mother's Day or Father's Day.
You will need:
- Thick card (eg. greyboard)
- Patterned paper or thin card
- Contrasting coloured paper or thin card
- Pencil, ruler, scissors, sticky tape and glue or double-sided adhesive tape
- Pencils and notepaper to fill the finished box
Just follow these step by step instructions.
- Cut two pieces of thick card approximately 27cm x 13cm and 27cm x 9cm.
- Score and fold into two rectangular 'tubes', one 9cm high and one 13 cm high and each approximately 8.5cm wide x 5cm deep. Join the ends with sticky tape.
- Cover with patterned paper.
- Attach the shorter tube to the front of the taller tube with glue or double-sided tape.
- Cut a strip of thick card approximately 5cm x 17cm. Fold up the ends so that the strip of card fits across the bottom of the two tubes from front to back and stick one end to the inside front of the shorter tube and the other end to the inside back of the taller tube.
- Cut another piece of thick card approximately 11cm x 13cm for the base and cover with contrasting coloured paper or card.
- Stick the tubes to the base board, by glueing or taping along the strip of board you fitted across the underside of the tubes.
- Fill the taller tube at the back with pens and pencils and the shorter tube at the front with notepaper.
Lolly Stick Tidy Box
Continuing with our theme of kids crafts as gifts, let's try making this Lolly Stick Tidy Box.
You will need:
- Approximately 40 lollipop or craft sticks
- PVA glue
- Lay out 10 sticks side by side and glue 2 more sticks at right angles to the first 10, and about 1cm in from the rounded edges, to form the underside/base of the box as shown in the diagram.
- Carefully turn the base over and glue on another 2 sticks in the same position to form a sturdy structure.
- Build up the sides of the box by adding and gluing another two sticks at right angles to the last two, about 1cm in from the other two edges.
- Continue adding sticks, one at each side and alternating at each level at right angles to the last, until your box is the height you need. Using 40 sticks will make a box about 3cm high.
And here's a really simple but effective idea, following our theme of kids crafts as gifts, which any bookworm will find useful.
Let's make a Bookmark Bookmark.
You will need:
- Thin card or paper
- Sticky fun foam letters
- Pencil, ruler, scissors and glue or double-sided adhesive tape
- Cut an A4 sheet of paper or thin card horizontally to give a strip approximately 4cm wide (or the width of a ruler).
- Stick on fun foam letters to spell out 'Bookmark' as shown.
- Cut two pieces of paper approximately 3.25cm x 3.75cm (1.25" x 1.5"), fold in half and staple once on the fold to make a little book.
- Decorate the front of the book with a small sticker and then stick the book onto the top of the bookmark as shown.
This would make an ideal party, group or fundraising activity too.
Christine, who kindly shared this project idea with me, sold children's handmade bookmarks like these to raise funds for the local church.
Make personalised bookmarks by using the foam letters to spell out a name instead of 'bookmark' and make an ideal little gift for any time of the year.
I hope you've enjoyed my kids crafts as gifts ideas. I'll try to add some more soon!
Go to Family Crafts for Kids from Kids Crafts as Gifts
Go to Kids Crafts Made Easy home page from Kids Crafts as Gifts